Monday 9 January 2012

The Wonky House

I have joined up with this Wonky House Blocks swap!  We are to make 12 wonky house blocks - send 11 to the mama along with siggy blocks and keep one for ourselves.  We can make our blocks any way we choose!


I lulled myself into a false sense of security thinking this couldn't be that hard after doing wonky stars - how wrong can you get! 


This one block 12.5" square or just about, took most of the day to make!  Crazy or what?










I paper pieced the house and that went ok apart from getting the bits of house attached to the wrong side and wondering why the roof wouldn't fit - sorry should have taken a photo I know!


Then I thought well the background will be easy as I just fill in - this is where I came unstuck!  And had to add extra bits in to the house or unpick lots!


Normally a Y-seam seems ok to me but I seemed to be creating them all over the place.  Not my best sewing!






The second one was easier and a bit more fun too!  I paper pieced the light house, free pieced the background which was not very wonky really and then added detail with raw edge applique - think this could be the less frustrating way to go....







Don't think the cat looks too happy do you?


I am wanting a whole village including a shop, a school, a church and pub of course - just like my village (minus the shop sadly)....





19 comments:

  1. That water looks a bit choppy, maybe the cat is seasick or has lost his owl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look great!
    love the fussy cut matroushkas in the doorway and window. The lighthouse is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have cats in boats in your village!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that you in the doorway? And the poor kitty looks a bit worried about his situation!!! Great blocks, Nicky!!! You will be sewing all over the house with this swap...hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes, my first PP pattern ended up with y seams too - eek! Not so easy with the paper! The house looks fab, despite its traumatic start in life! Think the kitty in the second one is about to abandon ship though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are brilliant!! Love the dolls and the cat :) They're both gorgeous! Don't you just love Britain?! A pub but no shop, we've got our priorities right! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very creative blocks missus! Lovely :-) And yeah, cat looks like its about to dive... lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Fun blocks to look at even if they weren't fun to make! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! (In my best Miranda voice) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Nicky,
    I love your blog. I am awarding you with the Liebster Blog Award. Please hop on over to my blog to pick it up. http://whitewolfsummitfarmgirl.blogspot.com/2012/01/white-wolf-summit-farmgirl-been-awarded.html

    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG Nicky - your houses are so so fabulous - I haven't started yet so if they take ages to make I better get a move on !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gotta love both those blocks! I don't understand tho'. Do you have to make 12 different blocks? and then give them away? So sad. I think I'd keep for myself. They are great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a challenging swap!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous blocks - are you going to be able to give them away?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great blocks, you imaginative thing! looks like a scene from the owl and the pussycat x

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...